Thursday, October 29, 2015

Halloween on a Budget!

With Halloween just around the corner, it can be tempting to just buy yet another pre-packaged Halloween costume. But, you don't have to! Your costume can be unique.. it just takes a little creativity and inspiration! Below are a couple of projects I've been working on. Actually, they didn't take much time at all. I knew I wanted to DIY my Halloween costume this year, as I wanted my costume to be special and unique. In addition, it's a lot of fun and, if you are careful, very cheap! FYI, I've decided to be a sorceress. So, with some easy to find outdoor items, a hot glue gun, some miscellaneous jewels, geodes (crystals which are incredibly easy to find here in Indiana), a hammer, and some paint, I was able to create a necessary component to my Halloween costume -For basically free!

The first project was a simple wand. I literally found a stick and I painted it purple. Any color will do. The prism crystal at the top of the wand was a pendant from one of my necklaces. The gold chain that you can see wrapped around the wand is actually the necklace that pendant came off of. The reflecting blue and orange "jewels" that you see on the wand were removed from a purse that I no longer use (bought at Goodwill forever ago).  The two white pieces are pieces of a geode, after I smashed it to pieces with a hammer. :p All glued down with the help of a hot glue gun, as hot glue really holds everything in place very well. Again, this is my vision. It could look entirely different. But, it looks pretty darn cool for not really costing me anything! 


This is the second project; a magic staff! I must have looked forever for the perfect walking stick and I finally found one. Height depends on what you want, but make sure it is sturdy and dry. I decided not to paint this or anything, as I like the natural look better. I smashed up a couple of geode chunks I had found at a creek/out in the country during the summer (so as to expose really white, clean parts of the crystals) and simply hot glued them onto and around the top of the walking stick, in a formation that i was happy with. I then put a bracelet around that part, just cause it looks cool and magical. :p The jewels came from the same purse mentioned above (with the wand), And the gold that you see is just some string confetti (like what you find at the base of a balloon) wrapped around the stick for decoration. 

So, as you can see, Halloween can be both magical and cheap! So, get creative! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Frugal Fashionista's Thrifty Blog Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Waterpark Gambang

Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. Your support in purchasing through these links enables us to put more time into this blog and sharing our tips with you that will help you save money. Thank you! :)